The base opened at 6 a.m. with all facilities open except for the gym and building 197. That’s where the shooting occurred.
A Navy spokeswoman said Vice Adm. Bill French said it was a “regular day and business as usual.” “I joined with you in grieving for our Navy Yard colleagues and families who were senselessly gunned down on Monday,” French wrote. He went on to say, “but as we grieve, we also stand strong, knowing that our inner strength and ideals for which we work, train and fight are infinitely stronger than gun wielding individuals.”
The Navy base was upgraded to a heightened level of security since the shooting. The daily operations are being affected in certain areas on the base. The Navy employees seem to be dealing with the situation much better than what the Department of Defense expected.
The Department of Defense spokesperson said, “building 197 and some surrounding areas will remain an active crime scene and will be closed until further notice.”
On Wednesday Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered a review of security procedures at all Defense Department installations in the United States. The gunman’s name is Aaron Alex, who killed 12 people. According to a Buddhist temple official, Aaron Alexis visited a Buddhist temple last month in Massachusetts where he talked about hearing voices in his head. It’s a mystery to how he gained access, and clearance to records with both disciplinary actions and an arrest. Ray Mabus, Secretary of the Navy called Wednesday for reviews of how security clearances are granted and renewed.